
When Elijah was first born, I remember proudly parading him around the neighborhood in his little black pram. Strangers would smile approvingly as we passed, and I would feel the teensiest bit sorry for other parents. Their kids were cute, but Elijah was
gorgeous! Ok, fine, I still think Elijah is gorgeous, and I still assume those looks are pure admiration and unrelated to our sidewalk monopolizing tendencies.

Last week's ratio of "what a cute kid" to "get out of my way" was the highest on record. I was watching my friend's son
Peter and the two toe-heads certainly attracted attention. Peter and Elijah are just over a year apart, and I think a lot of those smiles were the "better you than me" kind. We stopped by Stella's for brunch, and the parents at the table beside us look visibly relieved when I explained that both children were not mine. As for onlookers encountered on our walk, I just beamed at anyone who looked our way. It felt like a ruse, but that was part of the fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment